I had to include party-worthy in the title because jollof rice lovers know there is jollof rice, party jollof rice and concoction rice. Out of which we love party jollof rice the most, rave about it and use it as our claim to culinary fame. I am all about holistic living and hence do not like sachet tomato (puree) paste. Some people have argued by adding it is the only way to achieve proper jollof rice in all its orangish-red glory… I disagree.
You just need a little bit more tomato, a special ingredient and some type of pepper. 😉
• Pure groundnut oil (purchased from Ajimi)
• Ground crayfish
• Scotch bonnet peppers
• Bay leaves
• Red bell peppers
• Cayenne chilli peppers
• Dried Thyme
• Green peas (optional)
• Green bell peppers (optional)
• Turkey (optional)
• Cabbage (optional, for salad)
• Carrots (optional, for salad)
• Honey (optional for the turkey, purchased from Ajimi)
▪ Wash and blend tomatoes, all peppers (except the green), onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and crayfish. Season the puree with salt, and boil with the turkey till the puree turns into a paste. It is the red bell peppers, cayenne peppers, and turmeric that gives it the desired colour in a healthier way.
▪ Wash the rice and drain. Remove turkey when it is cooked.
▪ Heat the groundnut oil, and pour the boiled puree into the oil, add thyme, curry, bay leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
▪ Add the drained rice to the stew and stir for about two minutes before adding water. This method prevents burning to a large extent.
▪ To enable the rice boil on time, cover with a foil paper first, then cover with the pot.
▪ Boil on medium to high heat for about 30 minutes depending on your rice of choice.
▪ Once it starts boiling, do not stir! And if you must taste or check the water level, kindly use a wooden spoon or you’ll increase the chance of it burning.
▪ If unfortunately, the rice is burning, use the wooden spoon to open up spaces in between the rice so water from the top can roll down.
▪ When the rice is almost done, some extra people like my friend add stew on the rice (just add, do not stir).
▪ Add chopped green bell peppers and green peas when the rice is ready, steam for a minute or two. Stir (finally) and stop cooking.
– Fry diced plantain on to low heat, and chop cabbage and carrots.
Coat turkey with honey and
– bake for 2 minutes or microwave for 30 seconds.
– You can fry but the honey disperses in the oil.
Cooked again, I made this with moi-moi, chicken and beef instead. And I added sweet corn.